Friday, July 26, 2013

Cold Colours Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
Right now, the focus is getting the new album out to the masses and heard. Working on getting some more shows lined up to start promoting the album. Aside from the lineup I have in Minneapolis, I am also putting together another lineup in Chicago. That way I can do shows down there without having to transport a full band and their gear. I’ll just fly down and do shows with them there. I guess that’s one nice thing about being the only full time member!
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from previous releases?
I definitely feel more comfortable with the new material. All 4 albums have been VERY different from each other, which kind of was a bad choice. With the first album, it was a collection of various demos I had done for 4 years. It was very much a solo thing. By the time our second album, The Burden of Hope, came out; Cold Colours was a full band with 5 official members with 5 different ideas. We were all very into Anathema, Porcupine Tree and HIM and it showed. Unfortunately it did not turn out well at all. Another 6 years passed until “The Great Depression.” With that one I very much wanted to bring back the heaviness to the band, as the previous album wasn’t very metal at all. While it’s not a bad album, it almost became too “modern metal” sounding. After the lineup that recorded that album folded, I realized I needed to take back full control for the next album. So the new album is the most definitive of what I have always wanted the band to sound like. There are a few bits from the last 2 albums on there, but it is a much darker and gloomy record.  
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new release?
The common theme on this album is my distaste for people around me. I hold my family and friends close, but there has been a lot of deceit in my life lately and I just don’t have the time to waste on people like that.
4. I know that the band started out as being Wolfthorn, what was the decision behind the name change, and also was the band named after the Rotting Christ cover you did?
I started Wolfthorn in 1995, and that name came from my love of wolves and roses. In 1998, I started up Root of All Evil Records with my friend Earl Root. In 1999 we started recording “Somnium XIII.” Since I had only done a few demos as Wolfthorn, I gave some thought to changing the name. I felt like Wolfthorn sounded like a black metal band, and it seemed very limiting. I wanted a name that was not so “I know what they sound like” sounding. Dave, my drummer at the time, and I went to my house and started looking through my CD collection for a new name. I picked up “Sleep of the Angels” by Rotting Christ and was immediately drawn to the name Cold Colours. I thought it fit the band and I liked how it didn’t make you think of a style of music right away when hearing it. So yep!
5. I know that the band is solo in the studio, have you thought about using a full band on albums like you do with live shows?
Sure. Dave, who played drums on the first album as well as the new one, hates playing live. The guy who recorded and mixed the album, Will Maravelas, was interested in stepping in and drumming for shows. He will also more than likely play drums on the next album. Aaron Lott played on the new album and also plays live. He is also writing with me for the next album.
6. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
I think my favorite shows are always when we get the opportunity to open for bigger bands that have an audience who can get into us more than the average local shows. The best have been Katatonia, Moonspell, Within Temptation and Candlemass. Our CD release show in 2005 was great as well. It was the end of an era with that lineup and was just a packed audience who all just really got into the music. As a live band, I really don’t try to pull off any “dark and spooky” facade. We definitely act a lot more serious when we’re opening for bigger bands. But for the most part, people are drinking and having a good time. We’re not going to try to be all serious and spooky live.
7. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
I’m really hoping so. Like I said, I am working on getting a Chicago lineup going so I can play more down there. There are sporadic MN shows happening as well. I would love to get out and play more, but right now I don’t have the personnel to do so. Soon though!
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the new album by fans of gothic, doom and death metal?
It’s been pretty good, for the most part. Nothing “WOW” from anyone, but a lot of feedback has been “that’s what I always imagined you guys should sound like” comments. Some of the reviews have been kinda “blah,” but they are mostly from people who really liked the last album. So I am not surprised. All in all, I am very happy with the album, and even if reviews aren’t overwhelmingly positive – at least they are acknowledging the change with the direction of the band. And that is really all I am asking for at this point.
9. What is going on with the other musical projects these days?
Well, I have a death metal/d-beat band called Mordwolf that is doing quite well. We just formed in 2012 and we hit the ground running. We are kinda slacking right now, but I am anxious to get moving on the full length which we are starting in August. Right now there is a 5 song demo that can be downloaded for free at www.mordwolf.net
10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
We’ll definitely be sticking to the dark and doomy sound. We have a few songs written that are turning out a lot more of a heavier doom/death sound. It’s going to make sense with the current album. It won’t be as extreme as the previous album to album changes.
11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
A lot of the same stuff as always. My collection is massive, so I rarely listen to albums more than once every 8 month; unless it is a new release. My Dying Bride, Amorphis and Paradise Lost are 3 of our biggest influences. All 3 are still putting out great albums. Lately, my faves have been bands I have loved for years, finally getting me as excited as when I first started listening to them. Bands like Artillery, Vicious Rumors, Voivod and Kreator are really bringing me back in after lulls of sub-par albums in the 90’s and early 2000’s
12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Honestly, I don’t really do much outside of music other than “family man” stuff. I am happily married with a 3 ½ year old son. Everything else I do is music related. Whether it’s practicing, writing and recording; shopping for music, reading metal magazines and sites, etc. I pretty much live on metal music when I am not working or being Daddy.
13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks for the support. Check out the new Cold Colours CD. I am really happy with this one and am really hoping to reel people in this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment