Sunday, April 27, 2014

Contaminated Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Contaminated was formed in 2013 to make dark, crushing, dirge-ridden death metal. Nothing more, nothing less.

2.Recently you have released a new demo can you tell us a little bit more about your musical sound and what are some of the things you where able to bring onto this recording that you were not able to do with previous bands?

For years previously, I had tried to get numerous death metal projects off the ground with a few other members; however, in the end none of them made it to the demo stage for a variety of reasons. With this release I was able to fully control every aspect of the sound and I didn’t have to rely on others’ level of commitment or musical compatibility.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your music?

The general theme of this project is based around the slow decay and eventual death of all life.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Contaminated'?

I chose the name because it was appropriate to the feeling of the music; dirty, filthy, rotten death.

5.With this project you work all solo, do you feel this adds to the creativity of the music?

I doubt it adds to the final result as a few like minded people will usually be able to produce something better than a single person handling every instrument, but, I do like having full control over everything as this is quite a personal project; it’s essentially my tribute to some of the greatest bands in death and doom metal.

6.The demo came out on Crawling Chaos Productions, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

Wayde’s an absolute cunt and to be avoided at all cost! Jokes aside, Crawling Chaos Productions is run by a good mate of mine who understands exactly what I want to do with Contaminated. Plus, there needs to be a far greater level of support for local metal labels in this country. Pestilential Decay is the third CCP release.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of death and doom metal?

So far, most of the reviews that have come through have been pretty well spot on with what I’m going for and I’m happy with that. A couple of people have been so far off the mark that I found it pretty hilarious, but you can’t please everyone and it’s really quite a small crowd that’s interested in this sort of music.

8.Where do you see the project heading into musically during the future?

I don’t see it straying from the path laid by Pestilential Decay. I’ve already got most of the next release fully written and all I can say is to expect morbid, Finnish and dark US influenced death/doom.

9.Does Occultism play any role in your music?

None whatsoever. The harsh realities of life are far more deadly than any wishy-washy, make-believe “magic” bullshit…

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your  music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

My main influences for Contaminated include Abhorrence (FIN), Rippikoulu, Incantation, early Paradise Lost and early Cathedral. In recent years I’ve been broadening my musical horizons and for the last 6 months or so I’ve spent a lot of time delving into the works of the legendary Mick Harris and others he has collaborated with (SCORN, James Plotkin, etc.).

11.What are some of your non musical  interests?

Outside of work and uni I try to fill my time reading and playing 90s video games when I can.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

I’ll take a moment to plug the band I’m most active with on the live front, Terror Strike – punishing grindcore devastation. Cheers for the interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment